Monday, March 1, 2010

Everybody wants to Own the Future

First, I was glad to see the mention of David Russell's Writing in the Academic Disciplines 1870-1990 and Robert Connors Rhetoric-Composition. I think one of the real challenges in the US is getting folks to understand the way things are is not the way things have always been, i.e., this is not their natural state.This is one of the reason I really enjoyed reading James A. Berlin (even if some may say 'hell! no!). We need to trace the development of out institutions, to see the ideological and material forces that shaped them.

I'm also interested in getting 'beyond' (whatever that means) the traditional research paper. My own ideas regarding this have to do with connecting writing assignments to students lives and concerns while developing a further role in the larger political community as a "stakeholder."

The place where Davis and Shadle break down for me is that they can't seem to remember how quickly the present becomes the past. Written in 2000, I would anticipate their article would foresee the shift away from not only Literature based composition course, but the new normal of when it comes to students working with multi-media sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment